Cleaning the Generator
Your SmartVest Airway Clearance System is simple to maintain:
- Before performing any maintenance, be sure that the generator is unplugged.
- Clean the air pulse generator and air hose with a cloth dampened with a non-abrasive household disinfectant.
- Be careful not to let any liquid run inside the generator.
- Allow the hardware to dry completely before resuming use.
Cleaning the SmartVest Garment
The SmartVest garment has two components: the outer shell and the inner bladder.
For optimal long-lasting use, both must be cleaned regularly.
How to Clean the SmartVest Bladder
To remove the inner bladder for cleaning:
- Open the vest completely.
- Lay it out on a flat surface.
- Unzip the zipper.
- Five Velcro-like strips hold the bladder in position inside the shell. Separate these to remove the bladder.
- Lift the bladder out of the shell. Be careful not to puncture or cut the bladder material with any sharp objects.
- Clean the inner bladder with a cloth or sponge dampened with water and/or a household cleaner/disinfectant.
Do not machine wash or dry clean it. Never allow liquid to get inside the bladder.
How to Clean the SmartVest Garment Outer Shell
The outer shell can be spot cleaned with a damp cloth and a household fabric cleaner.
For a more thorough cleaning:
- Launder the outer shell in a washing machine. Fully close all Velcro closures beforehand.
- Make sure the bladder has been removed and wash the shell by itself using a mild detergent.
- Set the washing machine to the cool water and gentle cycle settings.
- When the wash cycle is complete, hang the shell to air dry. Do not put it into a clothes dryer.
Re-Assembling the SmartVest Garment
Before re-installing the bladder into the outer shell, always make sure both vest components are completely dry.
- Working on a flat surface, place the bladder into the shell.
- Tuck the four shoulder straps of the bladder into the shoulder straps of the shell, working the ends into the corresponding pockets.
- Be sure the Velcro attachment points are firmly connected.
- Check the bladder position. Re-adjust the Velcro attachments where necessary.
- Close the zipper and attach the fifth Velcro strip located near the air hose connector.
Note: if you’re a patient using the long-term use SmartVest Wrap®, the garment must be spot cleaned only. The wrap is not machine washable or dryable.
Replacing the SmartVest Air Filter
Routine preventative maintenance of your SmartVest system requires replacement of the unit’s air filter every six months, or after 200 hours of use.
The SQL system will notify you when 200 hours is reached and it is time to be changed.
After you have changed the filter, press the set button to reset to 200. If you do not intend to change the filter, press the blue diamond and it will notify you the next time the system is powered up.
- Begin by turning off the device and removing the power cord.
- Remove the filter access door on the bottom of the device. To do this, loosen the screws and pull up on the access door.
- Carefully remove the filter.
- Install a new filter.
- Replace the access door and tighten the screws.
For more detailed instructions, see page 23 of the SmartVest SQL and SQL-W Airway Clearance System Manual.
To order replacement filters, contact Product Support.
If you have questions about the use of your SmartVest Airway Clearance System or its service needs, our Product Support team is available seven days a week to answer your questions.