The SmartVest garment for respiratory vest therapy is made up of an outer shell and inner bladder. The bladder is zipped up inside the outer shell, which is how the vest inflates and deflates when it’s connected to the single-hose air-pulse generator of your SmartVest.
To maintain your SmartVest garment for optimal long-lasting use, you’ll need to clean your vest airway clearance system regularly. Follow these easy tips to keep your SmartVest looking and functioning at its best:
How to Clean Your SmartVest Inner Bladder
- Open the vest completely.
- Lay the vest out on a flat surface.
- Unzip its zipper.
- There are five Velcro-like strips holding the bladder in position inside the shell. You’ll need to separate these to remove the bladder from the respiratory vest.
- Lift the bladder out of the shell. Be careful not to puncture or cut the bladder material with any sharp objects.
- Clean the inner bladder with a cloth or sponge dampened with water and/or a household cleaner/disinfectant.
Remember to never machine wash or dry clean the inner bladder or allow liquid to get inside the bladder area of your chest compression vest.
How to Clean Your SmartVest Garment’s Outer Shell
The outer shell can be spot cleaned with a damp cloth and a household fabric cleaner.
For a more thorough cleaning, follow these simple steps:
- After the bladder has been removed, wash the outer shell in a washing machine, using a mild detergent. Remember to fully close all Velcro closures beforehand.
- Set your washing machine to the cool water and gentle cycle settings.
- When the wash cycle is complete, hang the shell to air dry. Do not put the shell into the dryer.
How to Re-Assemble Your SmartVest Garment
Before re-assembling your airway clearance vest, always make sure both vest components (bladder and shell) are completely dry.
- Working on a flat surface, place the bladder into the shell.
- Tuck the four shoulder straps of the bladder into the shoulder straps of the shell, working the ends into the corresponding pockets.
- Be sure the Velcro attachment points are firmly connected.
- Check the bladder position and re-adjust the Velcro attachments where necessary.
- Close the zipper and attach the fifth Velcro strip, located near the air-hose connector.
For people using the long-term use SmartVest Wrap®, remember to spot clean your garment only. The wrap is not machine washable or dryable.
To see how it’s done, watch this SmartVest airway clearance device cleaning video below.